Friday, July 25, 2008

Wheres Nhikko been




Nhikko has been very busy this month. Hes been to see the lung Dr. at ACH and had another sleep study, been to the ER for his funky rash:) He has some skin missing from the probes they glue on you for your sleep study, Glad we aren't taking Family photos this weekend huh... I get lots of private questions about him and I don't mind them so I thought for all who are afraid we will be offended we will just share...Nhikko was adopted 12/06 from Estonia. He was 4 yrs old and his weight was 9 lbs. No they were not starving him. He cant swallow so all the liquid was going into his lungs. Why he was not dead was beyond any one's knowledge. He has C.P. and a seizure disorder that is not under control not from lack of trying. He is blind, has cranial deformity, poor tone, bad teeth, microvasive feed button. braces for his hands and legs. Takes more meds than most 80 years old people!!!! BUT, he is an awesome little boy. He loves us and we love him. He will laugh when the other children get in trouble or the dogs get the paper after them. He can say Hi.... He now can roll from front to back and hold his head up for 3 or so minutes. And hes a fat boy at 38 lbs. Hes put on 29 lbs. since he came home. I know hes not going to play sports or win the spelling bee but he wins hearts everywhere he goes. People stare at times and I just smile at them, children are the most fun when they want to ask but Mom will say Shhhh. So I say to them "he looks different" huh. Do you want to talk to him. And most do..
I know that these children are left to die in most countries and Im so sad when I see them on the web sight. It breaks my heart. People ask why would you adopt a child like him. Its easy, We all deserve to be loved, He could be you or I and what would it be like for us.
I know that he wont live forever, I wont either. I know my heart will break when he is gone, It wont be easy. I know I love him and if I wouldn't of went back to that orphanage to get him I would of never forgiven myself and I know Les wouldn't of either. I know when it rains I think its God crying for children like Nhikko. If you have never opened your heart to adopt a child with special needs and God is calling you to do so I ask you to think about it and pray about it before you decided to close that chapter of your life. If he were a child of birth to you could you not love him then. Its amazing how we can become a better person and learn so much but a word is never spoken:) We will be devastated when he is in Heaven but happy he was so loved.
Hugs, Melonie

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

It was a pure pleasure and joy to have spent the weekend with you and Nhikko. For a boy who can't say alot he leaves a lasting impression on all !

Charlotte and crew